02 April 2009

A New Vision!



I am so excited about this initiative that I can hardly contain myself! It's been quite a while since I've felt this way when I come to work in the morning - and frankly, I haven't been teaching that long.

The Literacy Prism came about almost by accident. I was asked to sit in on our Board's Aboriginal Education Steering Committee. In trying to brainstorm what I could bring to the table in my role as Literacy Program Resource Teacher, I did what my students would have done and I "Googled". I typed in 'Aboriginal Literacy' and I clicked on a link to an article about the Rainbow/Holistic Approach to Aboriginal Literacy by Ningwakwe/E.Priscilla George. It's been a while since I've read anything that compelled me to action. Almost immediately, the vision for how this model could work for the students of our Board became quite clear.

I decided to start blogging about this process as a means of documenting its progress as well as facilitate professional discussion around the matter. We will be rolling this initiative out on May 6, 2009 to vice principals and one representative from literacy committees from each of our secondary schools. Publications are being printed and power points are being created for up-coming presentations. It's really a great time to be in this role.

No comments:

Post a Comment