24 October 2009

Jesus the Blogger?



First off, I mean no offense by this image. I thought it was hilarious that I could actually find something like this, so I suppose nothing is impossible with Google...

Yesterday, I presented at When Faith Meets Pedagogy. I held a workshop on the Literacy Prism and it went so well. I can't emphasize enough how relieved I was. When it was all over, I was completely wiped out but so satisfied. But that's not what this posting is about. I got to attend some breakout sessions. I was thoroughly intrigued by the title of an offering called "What would Jesus blog?" I thought it was an absolute hoot! Turns out that it was right up my alley. The gist of this session was that all the technology that is available today is a gift and we as Catholics have a responsibility to use this technology ethically for the benefit of others, for the common good. EVEN THE VATICAN GETS THIS!!! This is so ironic isn't it... The Church has been slow to move on many an issue, but of all the popes in history, Benedict XVI is challenging his priests to get in touch with their followers using this technology. Boggles the mind, I know. The session was run by Michael Redfearn, IT Consultant with the Waterloo Catholic District School Board. He showed participants Pope 2 You - a website that contains links to a Facebook profile and a wiki set up by the Vatican. I strongly encourage people to read the message that prefaces the whole existance of this website, "New Technologies, New Relationships: Promoting a Culture of Respect, Dialogue and Friendship." It emphasizes that technology is a gift and it acknowledges that the generation that the Church is trying to reach most communicates in a new way. It was so refreshing to read:

The accessibility of mobile telephones and computers, combined with the global reach and penetration of the internet, has opened up a range of means of communication that permit the almost instantaneous communication of words and images across enormous distances and to some of the most isolated corners of the world; something that would have been unthinkable for previous generations. Young people, in particular, have grasped the enormous capacity of the new media to foster connectedness, communication and understanding between individuals and communities, and they are turning to them as means of communicating with existing friends, of meeting new friends, of forming communities and networks, of seeking information and news, and of sharing their ideas and opinions. Many benefits flow from this new culture of communication: families are able to maintain contact across great distances; students and researchers have more immediate and easier access to documents, sources and scientific discoveries, hence they can work collaboratively from different locations; moreover, the interactive nature of many of the new media facilitates more dynamic forms of learning and communication, thereby contributing to social progress.


The words of the Pope, people! I'll be honest that I didn't have a whole lot of faith in the pope after the passing of John Paul II, but I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least. All this said, however, the message also includes that Catholics are obligated to use this new technology responsibily to promote the common good.

So while I was sitting in this session, I began to wonder. Has Jesus been on earth in human form today, would he have used technology to get across his Good News? I couldn't help but think that he would have. Back in the day, he walked. That's what people did. Could you imagine how much more quickly and effectively his message of love and peace could have been disseminated had he had access to the Internet? Imagine, using the Web for good instead of evil... So we as Catholic educators do have an obligation to our students to teach them the ethical use of technology. I know people are afraid of it. I understand, but it's time to get our heads out of the proverbial sand. Technology doesn't ever go away. It only becomes more sophisticated and those who choose to ignore it only fall further and further behind.

Take a look to your left... I've added a poll. What do you think Jesus would have blogged about? (I give full credit to Michael Redfearn for this. He did the same poll on Twitter, and I'm curious to see what responses I get.)

No comments:

Post a Comment