11 December 2009

Wordle!

I love WORDLE!

Wordle is an online application that allows you to create word clouds from the text (words and phrases) that you provide. You can modify the shape of the cloud, the font, the colours - it's great! The site allows you to print your creations or you can post to the public gallery.

This is the Wordle I created with a critical literacy theme:



How is this useful in the classroom?
-great for poetry
-works great as a "getting to know you" type of activity
-awesome for displays in the classroom (eg. bulletin boards)
-neat addition to works of art
-effective posters concern social justice issues

The only thing that irks me (but only slightly) is that you can't save your Wordle. To get around that, I simply performed CTRL+PRT SCR and pasted it into a Paint file, trimmed the edges and saved the image as a JPEG. A bit pesty, I admit, but until I figure out and easier way of going about this, I don't mind doing it. I really recommend playing around with this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment